Food Safe Plastic Garden Planters are a stronger and more flexible alternative to fiberglass. DeepStream has two models that are perfect for both residential and commercial projects, like restaurants and urban streetscapes.
Custom Welded Food Safe Plastic Garden Planters
Food Safe Plastic Garden Planters made with HDPE, high density polyethylene, is a solid color throughout, so your planters won’t show scratches in the same way fiberglass or painted metal planters do, and graffiti can be easily cleaned off. HDPE plastic resists UV in sunlight and makes food safe planters safe, think kitchen cutting board, making them perfect to grow herbs and vegetables. HDPE is also waterproof, so planters don’t need a liner. Hammered Nickel and Shale are just two of the contemporary colors available.
Are you looking for an attractive, lower cost commercial planter that will stand up to the hard knocks of life on the streets? Not only is HDPE a solid color throughout, so HDPE Planters do not show scratches in the same way fiberglass or painted metal planters do, but you can also use a random orbital sander to effortlessly create a unique new finish.
HDPE will not absorb paint or dirt, and as they are not painted, they may be pressure washed for sanitation. If a pressure cleaner won’t take graffiti off, it may be removed with paint remover or a light sanding, so they are perfect for rugged urban street life.
Whether for use at home, your restaurant, or commercial business, DeepStream’s customizable HDPE Food Safe Plastic Planters might be just what you are looking for. Environmentally friendly HDPE planters can be recycled again at the end of their long life.
Food Safe Plastic Planters may be direct-planted without using liners, or customized with liners with advanced drainage to extend the 3-year warranty to 5 years , while eliminating solar gain from heating the roots. As with all planters, for plants with aggressive roots like Bamboo or Clusia, we recommend using DeepStream’s rugged Planter Liners to aid in root management and replanting, or order our Aluminum Planters.
To reduce complexity and keep costs for tall planters to a minimum, your HDPE Planters can be built with inner cross-straps to support DeepStream’s landscape contractor grade rotomolded plastic liner or a simple shelf for removable potted plants at any height to meet your landscaping requirements.
DeepStream’s tall planters, often used by restaurants, do not need to be filled with expensive, messy soil as a ballast material for stability. Fill with a foot or so of inexpensive water and simply pull the plug to drain them and when you need to.
When ordering shorter planters with optional liners to maximize the warranty period, improve drainage, and ease repotting, the planter liners may rest on foam block efficiently at minimal cost.
In rainy locations, our planters include a self-regulating, variable depth ballast system that lowers the center of gravity with a water overflow port. There is a drainage port at the bottom of the planter, eliminating messy weep holes. When the planters need to be moved, they can be easily and cleanly lightened by draining the water, unlike planters ballasted with soil or other material.
Mariner Food Safe Plastic Wood Planters with a hidden aluminum Frame and Lifetime Structural Warranty
Square and rectangular Food Safe Plastic Planters specified by Landscape Architects are available factory-direct as both stand-alone planters up to 72″, or money-saving long planters of unlimited length using our modular structural frame design. Crafted from 100% recycled 3/4″ thick tongue and groove solid environmentally friendly no-maintenance HDPE recycled plastic lumber.
Don’t confuse our Landscape Architect-grade Mariner Food Safe Plastic Lumber Wood Planters with carpenter-built boxes that will fall apart in 3-5 years. These are a complete 3-component engineered Landscaping System:
- Anodized extruded aluminum legs, with no paint or powder coating to fail, engineered to eliminate fasteners and designed accommodate the lateral expansionary forces of HDPE plastic as it cycles through countless cycles of heating and cooling as the seasons change and the daily solar gain heats them. The legs support the hidden structural aircraft aluminum frame and are isolated from surfaces by replaceable HDPE plastic feet. Using legs of varying heights, we create an integral frame that supports accessories like screen wall, trellis, gates, and casters by design, not as an afterthought.
- The planter box with maintenance-free recycled plastic lumber is contained by the frame, providing an air gap between it and the food safe plastic planter liner, which prevents solar gain from heating the root ball, and hides drip irrigation and drainage systems.
- Rugged waterproof, food-safe, UV-resistant, 100% recycled LLDPE plastic rotomolded liners with advanced drainage and threaded drain ports. Planters may be pressure cleaned, as there is no paint or powder coating to fail.
DeepStream’s Mariner Food Safe Plastic Planters have a frame engineered to anchor integral screen walls and trellises, eliminating problematic penetrations through roof membranes or into city sidewalks.
They usually qualify for “temporary structure” status, eliminating most permitting required by building and city codes when used on roof terraces, balconies, or sidewalks. For more information on Screen Walls, click this Link.
If you have questions, need more information, or would like to discuss your project, please call Sheila at (305) 857-0466 or email her at email@example.com. Sheila has decades of experience to call on as a developer, general contractor, and property manager, with thousands of planter installations and remediation project experiences to help you with budget-saving ideas.
DeepStream Plastic Liners and 3-layer Drain Pads with TREMdrain & Biobarrier complete your Wood Planter
DeepStream pioneered modern drainage practices with side-wall drains and 3-layer drain filter pads. DeepStream places from one to three 3/4″ threaded drainage ports on its 16 proprietary stock plastic planter liners, to which various plugs, hose barbs, and valves may be attached. Liners are non-structural and are meant to be placed inside planter boxes.
DeepStream Designs rugged 100% recycled Stock Plastic Planter Liners
Generally, more container-grown plants die from drowning than from lack of water. “Old school” drain holes on the bottom and gravel drainage medium simply do not work and will quickly clog. DeepStream elevates the drainage hole center approximately 2″ up the sides of your liners to provide a “reservoir” for the tap roots and allow clay “fines” in all planting mediums to settle instead of clogging drain packs.
Garden Planter liners prevent the soil from contacting the wood, preventing rot, while promoting drainage. The air space the liner creates between itself and the planter box prevents the root-ball from getting warmer than the ambient air. This space also allows you to hide drip irrigation lines and wiring for lights. The tapered shape reduces shipping costs, and makes root conditioning and replanting slide-out-easy.
Custom Planter Liners
Depending on your plants, planting mixture, and local weather, you may need to add more drains to your garden plantes. Additional drain holes can be added as required by drilling additional holes in the side walls.
DeepStream’s advanced 3-Layer Drain Pad
Drain pads, when used in conjunction with clean 1-2 mm inorganic drainage material to slow the flow of the water to the drain, could prevent clogged drains for a decade or more in your garden planters. Biobarrier will not stop aggressive root systems like runner bamboo and Clusia.
Tips for improving Planter Drainage
Drain packs must be used in conjunction with a proper planting medium for container gardening, and inorganic filtering material to slow the drainage water so that any clay “fines” that could coat the geotextile will instead settle to the bottom of the liner below the side-wall drain.
- When selecting your outdoor planters, keep in mind that drainage is critical to the health of your plants grown in containers, and it is very difficult to remedy after the fact. The design of the planter liner is one of the important components.
- Generally, more tended plants die from drowning than from lack of water. “Old school” drain holes on the bottom and gravel drainage medium simply do not work and will quickly clog. DeepStream elevates the drainage hole center approximately 2″ up the sides of your liners to provide a “reservoir” for the tap roots, but more importantly, that space allows clay “fines” present in all most all planting mediums to settle instead of clogging drain packs.
- DeepStream pioneered modern drainage practices with side-wall drains and 3-layer drain filter packs. DeepStream places from one to three 3/4″ threaded drainage ports on its 16 stock proprietary plastic planter liners, to which various plugs, hose barbs and valves may be attached. Liners are non-structural and are meant to be placed inside planter boxes.
- Depending on your plants, planting mixture, and local climate, you may need to add more drains. Additional drain holes can be added as required by drilling additional holes in the side walls with a hole saw bit. If additional threaded ports are needed we stock two-part watertight bulkhead fittings.
- Planting mediums for container gardening are as varied as local climates and plant species. Here in Florida, we can get 6” of rain in a day in the rainy season, so we need a quick draining material and we often add perlite. If you have a dry climate, you may need to add more vermiculite to retain water. Since Florida also has a dry season where it my not rain for a month or more at a time, we use drip irrigation, as the planting medium we use for the rainy season dries out far too quickly during the dry season. For more in-depth information on drip irrigation, drainage, and the many aspects of container gardening check the Helpful Resource Links to planterblog.com listed at the bottom of this page.